WHAT WE THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT.
Back in the day, advertising followed standard formulas. Television advertising worked something like this:
• Open with an eye-catching shot along with a provocative statement having to do with a common problem or issue in the lives of your target audience
• Demonstrate the product while extolling its features and benefits
• List benefits on screen in supers
• Wrap up with an answer shot to the opening shot, along with a smart, quippy announcer “wrap”
• Beautiful product shot, with tag line said and supered
• Fade to black.
Then, on the 1984 Superbowl, Apple changed everything, when they did this: